this is me..!

Monday, March 23, 2009

A day adventure in the life of Amy.

I am a firm believer that everyday should be an adventure, whether small or large spending time doing something out of the ordinary can change someones life or your own; this happened yesterday.

I met up with some friends yesterday on Av. Paulista (the main ave. in Sao Paulo) and when I got there I came to find out that they had crashed their car. Well a bus had hit them from behind. Needless to say I got there before the ambulance did and I was riding a bus, only in Sao Paulo.(lol) But this is sad. Then after pointless wondering I decided to go on my way. Of course living by my philosophy I kept wondering the street.



I started to think that I am not really supposed to be a tourist on my stay here. Trying to assimilate is kind of absurd. So what is really left this awkward (there is no translation for "awkard" in Portuguese, by the way) middle spot? I'm a lover of awkward situations and the humor behind it, yet that I doing here? Really living my life here, is not a concept I actually analyzed before coming here. I know that sounds stupid, but I think that I purposely was reluctant to this fact, which does not set harmoniously with my "adventure" philosophy.

While sitting on street corner and contemplating the thought of going home, something caught my attention.

I have been missing my violin like crazy and there was a man on the other side of the avenida playing some Bach. Of course I had to photograph it, this was just a perfect setting. Too perfect.

So then I slowly crossed the street, almost getting run over ( I live on the edge.lol). When I got there I gave the man my change and sat next to him. I expected write an inspiring poem or write something for this blog, but no. The universe had something more interesting in mind.


About five minutes in, this beautiful little girl ran up to the violinist (Leo i later found out) and gave him a real.



I found it rather strange and peculiar that she didn't have shoes on. She laughed. Then sat next to me pickup a paper just sitting on the ground and started to chew on it.

What is going on here? Is this surreal?

"você é mulher de ele?" (are you his woman?)
"não"
"Eu moro na rua" (I live on the streets)
"por que?" (why?)
"não sei" ( I don't know)

That was the extent of our conversation.
But then she started again.
"I need to get 50 reais by the end of today or else my mom is going to hit me."
Then she showed me what her mother had done to her a couple of days ago. A horrible cut with badly sown stitches. She could of well been lying to get money out of me, but what if she wasn't? Just what if?

This broke my heart.



We sat in silence for a really long time. What do you ask a homeless girl on the street?

So I did what I always do, I pulled out my camera. Some might think this was a dumb act, but it was the best thing I had done that day. She instantaneously took it out of my hand and begged me to teach her how to photograph.

I wanted to adopt her right then and there. Yes, me, the hater of little children.
She took photographs of everything, little kids other homeless people, the violinist and old ladies and young ladies, the buildings and so forth. People who walked by looked at us with judging, curious and surprised expressions. I wouldn't blame them, I would of probably done the same. She tried playing the violin, then made me play the violin. Thank you Leo.



I hadn't done this adventure thing in a long time, but I knew it would find me.
In Sao Paulo there are a lot of homeless people, like in any other city. Honestly, recently it has been bothering me more and more. Part of the reason I came to South America was to be "uncomfortable" ("american life" was really starting to define me) and I think I found part of what I was looking for. But its not enough.

5 comments:

  1. aaaah beautiful and tragic amy. maybe that'll be your new definition.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey amy, It's Gui from puc
    A lovely story. Maybe we can live for changin one's life

    ReplyDelete